The Repo and Development Decisions

Risk Quantify is on SourceForge here. In 2010, I moved it into Github here, with the intention that this would become the main repository. I just tried building it, and it looks like the configure scripts are broken. I want to change the layout of the code as well, as all the code is in the src/rq directory, and I want to split out the different subsystems into their own directories.

When I first started the project, I wrote this in C. My rationale was that C was pretty much the lowest common denominator. As a library, this meant that the functions could be called by any other system without too much work. Want to call it from Python, PERL or Swift? No problem! The functions were exported from a shared library, and anything could just use it.

Now however, I want to build an application. I want the functionality to be exposed via network calls rather than directly interfacing to the library. This is because (in my opinion) there are lots of hard problems with just using the libraries that you need to solve. You need to get the data loaded and set up the environment in such a way as everything will work. If I build this as an application that anyone can interface via a network API, then I can handle the data loading and initialisation myself. Hopefully this will make the application much more useful for people.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *